Monday, November 4, 2019

The Hive is the Hardware, the Colony is the BeeWare.


The bees have been exploring their new locale and the garden is abuzz with their activity but I haven't yet seen any drinking from the fountain we have set up for them. Teddy and passing birds love drinking from it though. 

I ate my breakfast watching bees come and go ("come and go, talking of Michaelangelo"). The bee coop is as pretty Chicago O'Hare from a distance. Later, I visited them. Up close there are corpses on the ground, each a separate mystery: foolhardy robber, errant prince, ancient crone, cursed child or maybe someone delicate who succumbed to something I should have prevented? 

The 3/4 hive had already finished their syrup, the Flow hive had not quite. Impressed, we made more 1:1 syrup: 

1.6 kilograms of sugar in a big jug, 
Pour on about 1.6 litres of recently boiled water, 
stir together and set to cool for a bit. 

Refined white sugar is the healthiest thing to feed bees. You and I are not like them. 

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/532260/Feeding-sugar-to-honey-bees.pdf

Later still, after watching proudly and clapping my hands pink as my offspring and my coachees were awarded prizes, in the dark of the night, Sean, Iris and I went down to the bee coop and replenished the feeders. I think we gave the 3/4 hive about a litre and the Flow hive about half a litre. Then I tried to clean up the places where I had poured an unintentional libation of about 100 mls on the kitchen bench and floor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment