Thursday, November 14, 2019

Inspection!


The Flow hive bees are all right. Hazel and I did its first inspection at the same time as it was running its orientation flight school and they were super chill anyway. Hazel took the photos, spotted the queen and remembered the details, we both lifted frames and shook bees off to look at them. I did most of the excited grinning. 

The feeder was combed to the next layer down (like it was when I took the hive mat (ceiling) off), I think they do this so it's easier to climb up. 

Here's what we saw North to South:
Frame furthest North they haven't rly started on
Next in they're busy building and going well
Next is v full of honey
Next full of brood (pic above with drone bobbles)
Next also brood (I think this is the one below with the queen on it)
Ditto
Next lots of honey
Then they're building the last one 

We also saw: mould spots under the roof with fewer under the sandbag so I'm off to find a bit of insulation, a bee hatching, the queen laying, lots of wee coils of larvae of various sizes, I'm pretty sure I identified eggs but they're very small, one bee was busy feeding a larva despite her deformed wing virus (in the beautiful sunshine, full of relief that they are going fine, I saw her as a productive member of her society, but I suppose I need to research the infection vector*). All the frames on all the sides had at least some bees on them, and all the built parts were seething with bees. 

*Saturday a few days later: I have read in a couple of places that varroa rather than bees are the vector for Deformed Wing Virus, so it's fine to let affected workers work with the babies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment