Saturday, November 23, 2019

Peeking humans.


Sean got out the macro lens but I haven't seen the photos yet. 

We inspected the Flow Hive first, here is some capped honey (left), some capped brood (right), Hippolyta (wearing this year's fashionable green dot) and her attendants (all taken by Sean with his phone). 

We didn't give them the extra box we'd prepared because they haven't quite finished building the comb on the frames they have. My guess is that the peeking bees are courtiers and Hippolyta was near the entrance. 

I don't know how accurate my notes are as I'm not yet very good at spotting the differences between shiny egg cells and shiny nectar (or syrup) cells, or different coloured nectar vs pollen. I plan to go back through and look at the photos again. 

We inspected Malka's (3/4) hive second. 

See all those tiny white dots in the cells? Those are her youngest babies. 

Here is my youngest baby: 

And what I think we saw. 

And lastly, I got my first bee-sting since 1986 and was very relieved to discover I haven't become allergic in the intervening years. While I was tidying up after today's inspection I picked up the tape a bee was resting on and squashed her against myself. It hurt quite a bit, I flicked the sting out with a hive tool, moved my wedding ring onto my right hand in case of swelling, and when I got inside, I took this photo and put an icepack on the wee spot. About an hour later I could only feel it if I pressed hard and now not at all. She died, of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment